Sew it simple. Sew to have fun. How? It’s rather straightforward after you learn The Absolute Easiest Way to Sew! Pockets are my focus for this blog tutorial. Clever use of household tape will give you the guide to sew the outright simplest mitered corners.
The Absolute Easiest Way to Sew Mitered Patch Pockets
1. Interface Pockets
- Cut lightweight fusible interfacing to hemline of the pocket.
- Cut the interfacing along the hemline and trim off a scant 1/8″ of the interfacing on each pocket.
- Position the interfacing as pictured, leaving space between the two interfacing pieces. Fuse interfacing to the wrong side of each pocket, following manufacturer’s instructions.
2. Finish the edge of the pocket hem by zigzagging, serging, or turning under 1/4″ and stitching.
3. Fold the hem to the outside of the pocket along the foldline.
4. Stitch the side seams.
6. Turn the hem to the inside of the pocket.
- Use the 5-in-1 Sliding Gauge to measure, and mark twice the seam width from each side of the corner. (For example, with 5/8″ seams, mark 1-1/4″ on each side of the corner. For 1/4″ seams, mark 1/2″ on each side of the corner.)
- Place a strip of household tape or Sewer’s Fix-It Tape, on the wrong side of the fabric between the two marks, extending tape to each edge.
- Fold the corner to a point, right sides together, aligning the marks and the tape.
- Stitch from mark to mark, following along the tape edge.
- Remove tape; trim the seam to 1/4″.
- Turn corner right side out. Press. Repeat as needed to miter all corners.
The mitered corner pocket is now ready to topstitch to your project. Easy!
- Sewing Notions
- Sewing Machine Confidence
- Serger Spotlight
- Fabric Facts
- Sewing Basics
- Beyond the Basics
Watch me demonstrate this pocket technique online
The random winner of Quick Column Quilts book is Brenda Ackerman. She said, As always, I just love watching your show! I had really never considered a column quilt, yet after reading the post and watching the episode; I will be creating one of these quilts and most likely many more. They are wonderful. Thank you for sharing everything that you do! Have a great day!
Bye for now,