Here’s an ideal summer sewing project—colorful mug rugs! Create the reversible coaster from your fabric stash; then sit down to enjoy a cup of tea or coffee with a friend.
Supplies, Notions, and Fabric:
- Point 2 Point Turner
- Pellon’s Shirtailor Interfacing
- Fusible Fleece
- Trace’n Create Carefree Curves Template Set
- 5-in-1 Sliding Gauge
- 6-in-1 Stick ‘n Stitch Guide
- Assorted Fabric Scraps
- Each single mug rug requires:
- Four fabric squares cut 4″ x 4″
- Two interfacing squares cut 7-1/2″ x 7-1/2″
- One fleece square cut 7-1/2″ x 7-1/2″
- Cut four squares each measuring 4″ x 4″ from four fabric scraps.
- Cut one square of fabric 7-1/2″ x 7-1/2″ for the back.
- Cut one square 7-1/2″ x 7-1/2″ from the fleece and two same-sized squares from the interfacing.
- Use the 6-in-1 Stick ‘n Stitch Guide on the sewing machine plate to mark perfect 1/4″ seam allowances.
- Use the Carefree Curves template to trace a circle onto the stacked fabrics.
- To create the top of the mug rug, layer pieces in this order:
- Fleece, adhesive side down
- Sewn Four-Patch, right side up
- Interfacing, adhesive side up
- For the mug rug back, layer pieces in this order:
- 7-1/2″ fabric square, right side up
- Interfacing square, adhesive side up
- Stitch directly on the marked lines of both the top and bottom sets.
- Trim excess fabric 1/8″ past the stitching line using a pinking rotary cutting blade, on both top and bottom pieces.
- Use scissors to trim away excess interfacing, leaving 1″ of interfacing.
- Turn the interfacing to the wrong side.
- Carefully, smooth the circle edges with the turner.
Note from Nancy: Notice that the adhesive side of the fusible fleece is facing you as you smooth the interfacing. We’ll use this adhesive to fuse the top and bottom circle shapes together in the center of our final mug rug. Be mindful of the adhesive during the next pressing step.
- Layer the two circles, wrong sides together.
- Position and set the seam guide to allow you to stitch a consistent edgestitch around the circle.
Watch Sewing With Nancy online
For additional fun sewing projects, pick up my book Sew Simple with Rectangles & Squares.
Or watch Sew Simple with Rectangles & Squares online at nancyzieman.com.
Watch Sewing With Nancy on your iPad, iPod Touch, or iPhone; download the app.
Bye for now,