Here’s a recycled-garment pillow project, I call the Lumberjack Pillow. It’s a great beginner sewing project.
- 1 man’s or woman’s shirt, any size
- 13″ x 10″ square of contrasting fabric to fill neckline area
- Color coordinated thread
- 16” Pillow form
- Double sided basting tape
- 5-in-1 Sliding Gauge
- Chaco Marking Pen
- Working from the wrong side, button the lowest three to four buttons. Secure placket lower edge with double sided basting tape.
- Follow manufacturer’s directions to apply tape.
- Edgestitch the lower center front placket.
Note from Nancy: Our plaid flannel shirt had a back pleat. To avoid puckering, we topstitched the entire back pleat closed.
- Center pillow form inside shirt. (Notice the shirt is still wrong side out.)
- Button the shirt completely.
- Pin shirt parallel to the pillow form edges along the right, left, and bottom edges.
- Keep the pins in place.
- Mark the pinned line with a marking pen.
- Use a straight stitch and 1″ seam allowance to sew right, left, and bottom edges.
- Try the shirt on the pillow form.
- Cut a 13” x 10” square of contrasting fabric to fill neckline area. Press under ½” along the 13” sides.
Note from Nancy: If the flannel shirt size is XL, it may be necessary to use a larger rectangle of fabric to cover the opening in the shirt.
- Pin the midpoint of one 13” side to the center back of the neckline seam where the collar is attached to the shirt.
- Continue to pin approximately 3” from each side of the center back.
- Edgestitch the rectangle to the shirt where pinned along the collar or neckband seam line.
- Trim excess seam allowance from pillow sides and lower edge.
- Fold the seam allowance to create a “wrapped corner” at the lowered edges. Stitch in place.
Additional Inspiration—Pillow Tutorials
Bye for now,
Email challenge questions to email@example.com. Challenge not open to sponsors, employees, and immediate family members. Photos and techniques may be featured in future promotions, blog posts, videos, and/or TV shows.
Nancy Zieman—author, pattern designer, businesswoman, producer, and national sewing authority—is the host of the popular show Sewing With Nancy, which appears exclusively on public television stations across the United States and Canada. Follow Nancy’s blog at nancyzieman.com/blog and sign up to receive Nancy’s E-News for the latest news in sewing, quilting, creating, and block of the month updates.
Content in this feed is © copyright 2016 by Nancy Zieman and may not be republished without written permission. You’re welcome to forward the email to a friend or colleague but it’s not okay to add the RSS feed automatically as content on a blog or other website.