- Pressing is different than ironing. In pressing, you lift the iron up and down. In ironing, you move the iron back and forth.
- Use a steam iron or cover the fabric with a damp press cloth, when pressing.
- Choose the correct iron temperature for your fabric.
- Press on the wrong side of the fabric.
Pressing Seams Stitched with a Conventional Sewing Machine
1. Press the seam flat. This evens out the stitches and makes it easier to press the seam open.
2. Press the seam open. Press over a seam roll to prevent the seam edges from making an imprint on the right side of the fabric.
2. Press the seam in one direction.
3. Place pieces of adding machine tape or copy paper between the seam and the garment, to prevent seam imprints from showing on the right side of the fabric.
Read more in The Absolute Easiest Way to Sew. Chapters include:
- Sewing Notions
- Sewing Machine Confidence
- Serger Spotlight
- Fabric Facts
- Sewing Basics
- Beyond the Basics
Bye for now,