Today I’m sharing a table runner that you can easily create in 2-hours—my kind of home décor project! Renaissance Ribbons, Silk Dupioni, and a little thread are all you’ll need. The ribbon is the unifying element in this design.
Fabric and Ribbon Supplies:
- 1/2 yard of two coordinating colors of Silk Dupioni
- 1 yard each of three ribbons
- Monofilament thread
Note from Nancy: I selected the ribbons first, fabric second. This collection of Renaissance Ribbons has five options, well, really seven. The narrow ribbons are reversible!
- Cut one 18″ x 48″ section for the center of the table runner (dark brown)
- Cut two 18″ x 10″ sections from the lighter fabric (beige)
- Serge or zigzag the edges.
- Pin the lighter fabrics to each end of the darker center fabric, matching the 18″ cut edges.
- Stitch a 1/4″ seam; press.
- Cut the ribbons in half, creating 18″ lengths.
- Position and topstitch the ribbons over the seam. Use monofilament thread in the needle.
Note from Nancy: Oops, we forgot to take a photo of the table runner before turning and stitching the hem. Please visualize the table runner as a flat piece of fabric!
Miter the Corners of the Table Runner
The instructions will result in a 1″ hem.
- Measure and mark 2″ from each side of all corners on the wrong side of the fabric.
- Place a strip of tape, such as Sewer’s Fix-It Tape, on the wrong side of the fabric between the two marks, extending the tape at each end.
- Fold the corner to a point, right sides together, aligning the marks and the tape.
- Stitch from mark to mark, following the tape.
- Trim the seam to 1/4″; remove the tape.
- Turn mitered corners right side out. Fold up and press the remaining 1″ hem edges of the table runner. Topstitch 3/4″ from the folded edges.
- Your table runner is complete. Find more time-saving sewing tips like this one in The Absolute Easiest Way to Sew, a beginner’s sewing guide that includes my tried and true sewing tips.
- The size will be approximately 18″ x 48″.
Email challenge questions to email@example.com. Challenge not open to sponsors, employees, and immediate family members. Photos and techniques may be featured in future promotions, blog posts, videos, and/or TV shows.
Nancy Zieman—author, pattern designer, businesswoman, producer, and national sewing authority—is the host of the popular show Sewing With Nancy®, which appears exclusively on public television stations across the United States and Canada. Follow Nancy’s blog at NancyZieman.com/blog and sign up to receive Nancy’s E-News for the latest news in Sewing, Quilting, Creating, and Block of the Month updates.
Content in this feed is © copyright 2015 by Nancy Zieman and may not be republished without written permission. You’re welcome to forward the email to a friend or colleague but it’s not okay to add the RSS feed automatically as content on a blog or other website.