Joan Hinds, the designer of 30-Minute Doll Clothes Book and my guest on the Sewing With Nancy TV show by the same name, collaborated with me on the ideas on the final stop of this blog tour. We used the sewing pattern pieces from the book that create the “Tea Time” outfit. The fabric, Dress Up Days from Riley Blake Designs, was the inspiration for the simple, eye-catching update. Details make all the difference—even in doll clothes!
A Close-up Look at a Few of the Sewing Steps
- There are only three actual pattern pieces, plus dimensions given in the book for the skirt and shoulder straps. The bolero jacket is lined. Don’t be fooled by the word lining, there is an exposed seam on the inside. This isn’t couture sewing.
- The front and back top are included in one piece. Clever!
- Above you can see the straps. Easily turn them with the Fasturn, it’s one of my go-to notions.
- Check out Day 1 of the 30-Minute Doll Clothes Blog Tour to learn how to use Fuse ‘n Gather to simplify the skirt making process.
- Joan’s favorite closure is Velcro. Little fingers can easily work with this kid-friendly closure.
- The instructions in the 30-Minute Doll Clothes book detail how to line the little jacket. It’s simple, otherwise it wouldn’t be in this book.
- The step that was inspired by the fabric was the addition of a triple zigzag stitch as trim. I really like the orange thread color!
- In an hour of time—30 minutes give or take for each piece—you can make your own doll clothes creations.
Blog Tour Stops
Thank you to each of the bloggers listed below for joining the Blog Tour. I learned a lot and really enjoyed seeing everyone’s creations. How about you? If you missed a posting, click below for additional insights.
July 10 Nancy Zieman nancyzieman.com/blog
July 11 Jina Barney jinabarneydesignz.blogspot.com
July 12 Eileen Roche dzgns.com/blog
July 13 Heather Valentine thesewingloftblog.com
July 14 Shari Butler doohikeydesignstudio.com/blog
July 16 Lori Holt beeinmybonnetco.blogspot.com
July 17 Amy Barickman indygojunction.com/blog
July 18 The Long Ladies mariemadelinestudio.typepad.com
July 19 Ingrid Pinto freddiesfriendsblog.blogspot.com
July 20 Paige Hill rileyblakedesigns.com/blog
July 21 Joan Hinds & Nancy Zieman nancyzieman.com/blog
It’s your last opportunity to become eligible for the 30-Minute Doll Clothes Blog Tour prizes. Fun prizes will be awarded to random readers at the close of the blog tour. To be eligible for the following prizes, post a comment at the bottom of my July 10 blog tour posting. Winners will be posted on Tuesday, July 24th.
- $25 Nancy’s Notions Gift Certificate from Nancy’s Notions
- 30-Minute Doll Clothes book by Nancy Zieman with Joan Hinds from Nancy’s Notions
- Dress Up Days Fat Quarter Fabric Pack and Panel from Riley Blake Designs
- Dress Up Days Fat Quarter Fabric Pack (the fabrics featured in this posting) from Riley Blake Designs
Again, thank you to Nancy’s Notions for sponsoring the 30-Minute Doll Clothes Blog Tour!
Bye for now,