Welcome to the first day of my 30-Minute Doll Clothes Blog Tour! During the next two weeks, the Nancy Zieman Sewing Bus—kinda wish I had a real sewing bus—will make 11 stops, visiting the sites of some of my blogging friends!
This past season, 30-Minute Doll Clothes, a Sewing With Nancy 2-part series with guest Joan Hinds, piqued such interest that I knew other blogging sewists would enjoy adding their creative touches to these easy-to-sew patterns.
To launch this tour, my sewing studio staff created a version of the Birthday Party Pattern using the Dress Up Days fabric collection by Riley Blake Designs.
Easy Sewing Steps
The instructions in the 30-Minute Doll Clothes Book (that includes all the patterns for 10 different outfits) are straight forward. If you’re going to sew one of the doll clothing pieces in 30 minutes, you’ve already guessed that the steps are not complicated! But then, there’s always another shortcut.
Save Time with “Fuse ’n Gather”
To speed the gathering process along even faster, we used Fuse ’n Gather, the new gathering tape from Clover.
- First finish the three sides of the skirt pieces as detailed in the book.
- Then, baste the layers together and mark one long edge at each quarter point.
- Press the Fuse ’n Gather to the wrong side of the longer layer.
- Follow the instructions on the packaging and wrap the threads at one end around a pin. Pull the threads at the opposite end to gather. Talk about even gathers!
- To create the detail in the skirt, pleat up the center of the skirt’s top layer. Hand baste and later accent with a ribbon bow. Working over a sleeve board makes it easier to shape the small pieces.
- After quarter marking the waistband, meet right sides together and stitch to the skirt.
- Then, topstitch the waistband from the right side. Notice that moving the needle to the left position keeps the entire foot on the flat waistband. There will be an exposed seam on the wrong side but the doll will not mind!
- The finishing step is to stitch on a Velcro closure. You’ll find all of those details in the book.
Create the top in another 30 Minutes
We followed the pattern instructions just the way they’re written in the book. Again, the sewing is simple—all straight stitching. The sleeve board was a valuable tool for pressing.
- A side note: We couldn’t find 1/4″ wide matching ribbon to use for the straps. The purple grosgrain ribbon was 5/8″ wide, so it was folded in half and stitched to make it narrower. Problem solved. If you look closely, you can see the double layers of the strap in the photo.
Blog Tour Details
All blog tour hosts will use the patterns from the 30-Minute Doll Clothes book and add their own personal flair. On every tour date, be sure to visit each of the bloggers’ postings to see their fun doll fashion creations:
July 10 Nancy Zieman nancyzieman.com/blog
July 11 Jina Barney jinabarneydesignz.blogspot.com
July 12 Eileen Roche dzgns.com/blog
July 13 Heather Valentine thesewingloftblog.com
July 14 Shari Butler doohikeydesignstudio.com/blog
July 16 Lori Holt beeinmybonnetco.blogspot.com
July 17 Amy Barickman indygojunction.com/blog
July 18 The Long Ladies mariemadelinestudio.typepad.com
July 19 Ingrid Pinto freddiesfriendsblog.blogspot.com
July 20 Paige Hill rileyblakedesigns.com/blog
July 21 Joan Hinds & Nancy Zieman nancyzieman.com/blog
30-Minute Blog Tour Prizes!
Fun prizes will be awarded to random readers at the close of the blog tour. To be eligible for the following prizes, post a comment at the bottom of this July 10 blog tour posting. Winners will be posted on Tuesday, July 24th.
- $25 Nancy’s Notions Gift Certificate from Nancy’s Notions
- 30-Minute Doll Clothes book by Nancy Zieman with Joan Hinds from Nancy’s Notions
- Dress Up Days Fat Quarter Fabric Pack & Panel from Riley Blake Designs
- Dress Up Days Fat Quarter Fabric Pack (fabrics featured in this blog) from Riley Blake Designs
I am extending a big thank you to Nancy’s Notions for sponsoring the 30-Minute Doll Clothes Blog Tour!
Watch 30-Minute Doll Clothes TV Show
You can watch the 30-Minute Doll Clothes Sewing With Nancy TV show online. Watch at your convenience! Or view my shows on your iPad, iPod Touch, or iPhone. Remember to downloaded the app.
Bye for now,