When Baby Lock asked me to be part of their Snappy Holiday Quick-Sew Project Round-Up, I knew immediately which project to share. The Girlfriend Wristlet is quick-to-sew, but best of all, it’s very useful. I have a wristlet like this inside my bigger handbag. When running a quick errand, I grab this wristlet—it’s just the right size to carry during quick errands.
Let’s Get Started!
Choose a trendy double-faced quilted fabric, add snappy trims, and within less than 2-hours of time, you will complete a personalized gift!
- 1/4 yd. Double Faced Quilted Fabric. Cut two 9″ x 11″ pieces.
- 1/8 yd. of Accent Fabric. Cut two strips: 1-1/4″ x 18″ and 2-1/2″ x 16″.
- Create-a-Strap, 1-1/4″ and Create-a-Strap, 5/8″
- 9″ zipper
- Magnetic Snap
- Swivel Latch, 3/4″ Glossy Nickel
- Ribbon in two widths: 1/2 yd. 3/8″ width and 1/2 yd. 5/8″ width
- 1 Spool all-purpose thread
1. Fuse and stitch straps & tab
- Fuse 5/8″ Create-a-Strap to the wrong side of the 18″ x 1-1/4″ strip.
- Fuse 1-1/4″ Create-a-Strap to the wrong side of the 16″ x 2-1/2″ strip.
- Fold and press along the perforation.
- Center ribbon over the edges. Edgestitch along ribbon edges.
2. Create a Tab
- Add a magnetic snap on the ribbon side of the 1-1/4″ (wider) strap 5″ from one end.
3. Create Strap
- Cut narrow strap into two pieces: 16″ and 2″.
- Thread the 16″ strap through the opening in the swivel latch. Turn under 1/4″ at each short end, and butt folded ends near swivel hook; topstitch to secure straps together.
- Cut two 2″ squares from accent fabric. Fold each square in half.
- Position half-squares at each end of the zipper with folds to the center, allowing 7-1/2″ opening of the zipper.
- Edgestitch along the folds.
- Trim off excess zipper tape beneath the fabric ends.
- Fold 2″ x 5/8″ strap in half, creating a loop.
- Position loop 6″ from bottom edge, along one side.
- Center and pin single layer of tab to one narrow end of a fabric rectangle.
- Topstitch single layer of tab to fabric along each edge. (The double layer of the tab will not be stitched to the quilted fabric.)
- Add remaining half of the magnetic snap 1-3/4″ from narrow end of second quilted rectangle.
- With right sides together, stitch zipper to top edges of each rectangle. Turn right side out and topstitch along fold.
- Open zipper. Meet fabric edges right sides together. Stitch side seams and lower edge. Turn right side out.
- Clip strap to loop. Close tab with snap, slightly tucking fabric under tab.
Visit Baby Lock’s Snappy Holiday Quick-Sew Project Round-Up to view and print a project sheet for this project and six other projects from six other bloggers!
Then, visit the other participating bloggers sites to see their Snappy Holidays Projects:
Patty Young http://modkidboutique.blogspot.com
Lindsay Wilkes http://thecottagehome.blogspot.com
Amy Ellis http://amyscreativeside.com
Heather Valentine http://thesewingloftblog.com
Kelly Bowser http://kelbysews.blogspot.com
Stephanie Struckmann http://totallystitchin.net/members/the-sewing-corner/
Nancy Zieman http://www.nancyzieman.com/blog
For weekly updates from Nancy, sign up to receive Nancy’s E-News for the latest news in Sewing, Quilting, & Creating.
Sewing With Nancy’s 30th Anniversary Blog Giveaway Event
To celebrate 30 years on television, Sewing With Nancy sponsors, guests, and friends have generously donated “30” amazing giveaways. To qualify for one of the giveaways, click here and post a comment below the Giveaway Event Posting–by noon today–with your favorite Sewing With Nancy memory. 30 random winners will be announced—tomorrow—November 30!
Watch Sewing With Nancy Online
Bye for now,
Nancy Zieman—author, pattern designer, businesswomen, producer, and national sewing authority—is the host of the popular show Sewing With Nancy®, which appears exclusively on public television stations across the United States and Canada. Follow Nancy’s Blog at NancyZieman.com/Blog and sign up to receive Nancy’s E-News for the latest news in Sewing, Quilting, & Creating.