Frequent Sewing With Nancy guest and friend Amy Barickman has taken a new spin on sewing with denim, adding lots of texture by layering, tearing, and manipulating the fabric. In her new book, Dimensional Denim, she features techniques that are applicable for both home décor and fashion.
My Favorite Technique from Dimensional Denim
Amy asked me to be part of her Blog Tour and share my favorite technique from the book, using Crossroads Denim Fabric. The textured pillows really caught my attention. Called the Strip N’ Stitch Technique, it’s an easy process with results that have lots of presence!
Strip N’ Stitch Technique
As its name indicates, all you do is tear strips of fabric and then stitch!
- Measure and mark at least two 1″ widths on the selvage of the fabric. Make a small cut at each mark through the selvage into the fabric.
- Tear the strips the width of the fabric.
- Next, cut a square of background fabric that is used to attach the strips.
- On the right side of the background fabric, draw a diagonal line from the lower left corner to the top right corner with a fabric marking pen. Continue to draw diagonal lines on either side of the first line, at least 1″ apart.
- Line up the left edge of each strip with the marked lines. Pin the right side of each strip to the right side of the background fabric. Trim each end of the strips 1/2″ longer than the outer edges of the background fabric—they will be trimmed again after stitching.
- Use a medium width machine zigzag and sew down the center of each strip to secure. Trim the strips to match the outer edges of the background fabric. That’s it!
Dimensional Denim Blog Tour
August 4 https://www.indygojunction.com
August 4 http://www.kollabora.com
August 5 http://www.amybarickman.com/blog
August 7 http://www.cool2craft.com/
August 8 http://thesewingloftblog.com/
August 11 http://www.nancyzieman.com/blog/
August 12 http://www.skiptomylou.org/
August 13 http://www.inventivedenim.com/blog/
August 14 http://whip-stitch.com/
August 15 http://coatsandclarksewingsecrets.com/
Enter to win one of 10 copies of Dimensional Denim by commenting on the Indygo Junction blog post here. One lucky grand prize winner will receive the book and an assortment of Crossroads Denim Fabric and patterns from Indygo Junction. Click here to Enter by commenting on the Indygo Junction blog post here.
Bye for now,