Here’s a quick and easy gift inspired by one of the projects featured in my book, Nancy’s 30 Favorite Gifts to Sew. Plus, I’ve added a Blog Exclusive Tip in this posting.
The original wine tote in the book uses two coordinating cotton fabrics. My new version shown above, uses double-faced quilted fabric and bias trim. Follow my tips below for sewing this really fast hostess tote with prequilted fabric.
- Nancy’s 30 Favorite Gifts to Sew book
- 1/3 yd. double-faced quilted fabric
- 2″ wide bias strips of cotton quilting fabric to make 60″ bias binding strips
- Clover’s 1″ Bias Tape Maker
- Follow the Wine Tote instructions in Nancy’s 30 Favorite Gifts to Sew book to create the tote pattern.
- Lay the pattern on the fabric—place top handle on fold. Cut one pattern on the fold.
- Blog Exclusive: Cut one 5″ x 10″ front pocket.
- Blog Exclusive: Feed 2″ wide bias strips through Clover’s 1″ Bias Tape Maker to make 60″ coordinating bias tape.
- Meet right side of bias tape to pocket wrong side. Stitch edge of bias tape to pocket top edge using 1/4″ seam.
- Fold bias tape to front and topstitch to pocket top near edge of bias.
- At lower pocket edge, press under 1/4″ towards back.
- Pin pocket to tote front 2-3/4″ from lower edge. Topstitch pocket to tote at sides and across lower pocket.
- Create two pockets by topstitching down center front pocket.
- Stitch bias tape to curved handle edges using bias techniques above.
- Fold tote right sides together and serge or zigzag sides and lower edge.
- At each corner, fold tote so side seam stacks on top of lower edge seam, forming a triangle. Place a mark 1-1/4″ from edge.
- For an added detail, use a Curved Corner Ruler to draw in a slight curve.
- Stitch along the curve. Repeat on opposite corner. Trim excess fabric and serge or zigzag.
Combine an hour of sewing time with a few simple supplies. The result: An attractive hostess tote. Fill with your favorite recipe, ingredients, and kitchen gadgets. Or add a favorite bottle of wine, bread, and cheese. Voila! You have an ideal festive gift.
30 Gift Ideas in One Book!
If you like the quick gift I’ve shown you in this blog, there are 29 more options just waiting for you to stitch in Nancy’s 30 Favorite Gifts to Sew book.
Bye for now,