Do you ever need a little reminder to be kind, be patient, have hope, to love, have peace, or have joy? I know, a rhetorical question; We all would answer yes—if not today, probably tomorrow. Those virtuous words prompted me to design laser-cut fusible appliqués that would make quick, home-décor accents that also act as a reminder.
Fusible laser-cut appliqués
When I show these appliqués at a seminar, often I can read the minds of my audience. The wrinkled brows tell me that they think that they’ll have to cut out the intricate designs following a pattern. Not so! The designs are cut and have fusible backing. In short they’re almost ready to go!
Here’s how to make low-sew appliqué wall décor
- Clip off the extra tabs. When you remove each appliqué from the package, this is what it looks like. There are a few fabric tabs that must be clipped away. These tabs keep the design intact while in the package. You’ll be able to see right where to clip.
- Remove the paper backing from the wrong side. I like to peel it away in sections.
- Cut a rectangle of fabric. I used an Ombre fabric (some of the samples are in green others in teal), cutting it 16-1/2″ square to fit over a 12″ stretch canvas. Also, cut out 2-1/2″ squares from each corner. (You can purchase stretched canvases at an art or hobby store.)
- Back the fabric with fusible interfacing. I used Pellon’s SofShape. For additional framing ideas see the free online instructions.
- Center and position the appliqué on the right side of the fabric. Extra rulers really come in handy!
- Fuse the appliqué to the fabric. Use a Teflon Pressing Sheet; press following the instructions included with each appliqué.
- Trivia! Did you know that Teflon Pressing sheets were first used in the restaurant industry to make omelets?
Stitch the corners, turn right side out, and then fit over the canvas frame. With a few metal stitches (or staples), attach the fabric to the frame. Again, the instructions are included with each appliqué, or you can view all the details online; click here.
- Hang one, three, or all six words of wisdom. We made some of the wall art with the green variegated and another grouping with the teal fabric.
- Purchase the appliqué as a set or individually. You could make each one separately or as a wall hanging!
Today I need patience? How about you?
Which of these virtuous words speaks to you today? Post below. We’ll pick a random winner and send the set of all six words of wisdom as a gift, a $39.99 value. The winner will be posted on March 1.
Bye for now,
Content in this feed is © copyright 2014 by Nancy Zieman and may not be republished without written permission. You’re welcome to forward the email to a friend or colleague, but it’s not okay to add the RSS feed automatically as content on a blog or other website.