Stitch an easy quilt—from just one block!
Make that same one-block quilt design more dramatic with the simple addition of sashing strips.
Use the multisized Tumbler Template from the Trace ‘n Create Grandmother’s One-Patch Quilt Template Collection to create tumbler blocks in 4″, 6″, 8″, and 10″ sizes. Choose four coordinating fabrics, batting, and backing.
- For this project I chose the 6″ Tumbler block. The template tells me to cut 6-1/2″ crosswise fabric strips.
- Following the instructions included with the Trace ‘n Create Grandmother’s One-Patch Quilt Template, trace a “finishing piece” at the end of the 6-1/2″ fabrics strip. The “finishing pieces” are set at the end of each row.
- Rotate the template and trace the 6″ tumbler block. The die cut openings are color coded for easy tracing.
- Again, rotate the template and continue to trace tumbler blocks—the entire length of the fabric strip. Cut blocks apart at traced lines using a rotary cutter and ruler.
- Cut 1-1/2″ x 42/44″ crosswise fabrics strips for the sashing.
- Stitch Tumbler Blocks to long sashing strips, leaving about a three-finger space between blocks. If you don’t leave enough sashing between blocks, you’ll come up short when you press the seams open!
- Press seams toward the Tumbler Block. Trim sashing strips at the top and bottom of each block with a rotary cutter, ruler, and mat.
- Join Tumbler Blocks to sashing strips at each block edge, creating rows. Assemble rows: For this quilt, we assembled nine rows. Add 1-1/2″ crosswise fabric/sashing strips to frame the one-patch quilt design. Add 2-1/2″ (or wider) borders. Bind with your favorite quilt binding method.
Including sashing strips adds interest to the quilt, and there are no corners to match! In the Grandmother’s One-Patch Quilts DVD I show how to make this quilt, and more!
For a chance to win a copy of the Trace ‘n Create Grandmother’s One-Patch Quilt Template Collection from Clover, leave a comment below sharing your next quilting project.
Watch Sewing With Nancy online.
Bye for now,