The Girlfirend Wristlet is quick-to-sew, but best of all, it’s very useful. I have a wristlet like this inside my bigger handbag. When running a quick errand, I grab this wristlet—it’s just the right size to carry during quick errands.
Let’s Get Started!
Choose a trendy double-faced quilted fabric, add snappy trims, and within less than 2-hours of time, you will complete a personalized gift!
- 1/4 yd. Double Faced Quilted Fabric. Cut two 9″ x 11″ pieces.
- 1/8 yd. of Accent Fabric. Cut two strips: 1-1/4″ x 18″ and 2-1/2″ x 16″.
- Create-a-Strap, 1-1/4″ and Create-a-Strap, 5/8″
- 9″ zipper
- Magnetic Snap
- Swivel Latch, 3/4″ Glossy Nickel
- Ribbon in two widths: 1/2 yd. 3/8″ width and 1/2 yd. 5/8″ width
- 1 spool all-purpose thread
1. Fuse and stitch straps & tab
- Fuse 5/8″ Create-a-Strap to the wrong side of the 18″ x 1-1/4″ strip.
- Fuse 1-1/4″ Create-a-Strap to the wrong side of the 16″ x 2-1/2″ strip.
- Fold and press along the perforation.
- Center ribbon over the edges. Edgestitch along ribbon edges.
2. Create a Tab
- Add a magnetic snap on the ribbon side of the 1-1/4″ (wider) strap 5″ from one end.
- Fold tab, ribbon side out, 6″ from the end with the snap.
- Edgestitch folded sections of the tab along each edge, using a zipper foot.
3. Create Strap
- Cut narrow strap into two pieces: 16″ and 2″.
- Thread the 16″ strap through the opening in the swivel latch. Turn under 1/4″ at each short end, and butt folded ends near swivel hook; topstitch to secure straps together.
4. Prepare zipper
- Cut two 2″ squares from accent fabric. Fold each square in half.
- Position half-squares at each end of the zipper with folds to the center, allowing 7-1/2″ opening of the zipper.
- Edgestitch along the folds.
- Trim off excess zipper tape beneath the fabric ends.
5. Assemble Wristlet
- Fold 2″ x 5/8″ strap in half, creating a loop.
- Position loop 6″ from bottom edge, along one side.
- Center and pin single layer of tab to one narrow end of a fabric rectangle.
- Topstitch single layer of tab to fabric along each edge. (The double layer of the tab will not be stitched to the quilted fabric.)
- Add remaining half of the magnetic snap 1-3/4″ from narrow end of second quilted rectangle.
- With right sides together, stitch zipper to top edges of each rectangle. Turn right side out and topstitch along fold.
- Open zipper. Meet fabric edges right sides together. Stitch side seams and lower edge. Turn right side out.
- Clip strap to loop. Close tab with snap, slightly tucking fabric under tab.
Watch Sewing With Nancy Online
Bye for now,