The giving season is just around the corner. Each Saturday, for the next few weeks, I’ll share a quick and easy sewing project–ideal for gift giving. Each gift is inspired by one of the projects featured in my new book, Nancy’s 30 Favorite Gifts to Sew Book Plus I’ll add Blog Exclusive Tips in each posting.
The original wine tote in the book uses two coordinating cotton fabrics. My new version shown pictured above, uses double faced quilted fabric and bias trim. Follow my tips below for sewing a really fast hostess tote with pre-quilted fabric.
- Nancy’s 30 Favorite Gifts to Sew Book
- 1/3 yd. Double Faced Quilted Fabric
- 2″ bias strips cotton quilting fabric to make 60″ bias binding
- Clover’s 1″ Bias Tape Maker
- Follow the Wine Tote instructions in Nancy’s 30 Favorite Gifts to Sew Book to create the tote pattern.
- Lay the pattern on the fabric–place top handle on fold. Cut one on fold.
- Blog Exclusive: Cut one 10″ x 5″ front pocket.
- Blog Exclusive: Feed 2″ bias strips through Clover’s 1″ Bias Tape Maker to make 60″ coordinating bias tape.
- Meet right side bias tape to pocket wrong side. Stitch edge of bias tape to pocket top edge using 1/4″ seam.
- Fold bias tape to front and topstitch to pocket top near edge of bias.
- At lower pocket edge, press under 1/4″ towards back.
- Pin pocket to tote front 2-3/4″ from lower edge. Topstitch pocket to tote at sides and across lower pocket.
- Create two pockets by topstitching down center front pocket.
- Stitch bias tape to curved handle edges using bias techniques above.
- Fold tote right sides together and serge or zigzag sides and lower edge.
- At each corner, fold tote so side seam stacks on top of lower edge seam, forming a triangle. Place a mark 1-1/4″ from edge.
- For an added detail , use a Curved Corner Ruler to draw in a slight curve.
- Stitch along the curve. Repeat on opposite corner. Trim excess fabric and serge or zigzag.
Combine an hour of sewing time with a few simple supplies. The result: An attractive hostess tote. Fill with your favorite recipe, ingredients and kitchen gadgets. Or add a favorite bottle of wine, bread and cheese and voila! You have an ideal festive gift.
30 Gift Ideas in One Book!
You may have read in previous blogs that November is National Sewing With Nancy Month! (This blog may be the only place that’s doing the celebrating! Oh well.) It’s a self-proclaimed celebration of Sewing With Nancy’s 30th anniversary on TV. Part of the celebration was to put together a book. Nancy’s 30 Favorite Gifts to Sew Book. If you like the quick gift I’ve shown you in this blog, there are 29 more options just waiting for you to stitch!
Watch Sewing With Nancy Online
This is our best-kept secret! If you’d like to rewatch an episode of Sewing With Nancy or watch any of the last two years of programs (52 shows in all), head over to www.nancyzieman.com and click on your favorite topic.
National Sewing With Nancy Month will gain more momentum during the month. Watch for an exciting give away in future posts! Tell you friends.
Bye for now,