Here’s an ideal gift for a sewing or quilting friend; create Eileen Roche’s Sew Pin Cushion. It’s an all in-the-hoop-project that is fascinating to watch as the layers are added and then automatically stitched. With the backing of the pin cushion cleverly added to the underside of the hoop, you’ll soon realize that you can create this gift in an hour of time!
Stitch the Pin Cushion
- Hoop the lightweight tear-away stabilizer. Place a square of appliqué fabric in the center of the hoop. Stitch color 1.
- Lay a second piece of appliqué fabric over the outline. Stitch colors 2 and 3.
- Lay a third piece of appliqué fabric over the outline and stitch color 4.
- Repeat the process. Stitch colors 5, 6 and 7. You get the idea!
- Carefully remove the hoop from the machine. Trim the excess fabric from the appliqués so they are not extending beyond the large heart stitched by color 1.
- Spray the wrong side of the 5″ square of backing fabric with temporary adhesive. Smooth the tacky surface to the back of the hoop, covering the large heart outline.
- Reattach the hoop to the machine and stitch the next color, the tackdown. Remove the hoop from the machine. Trim the large heart on the front and back of the hoop.
- Once again, reattach the hoop and stitch the final color, the satin stitch outline. Remove the hoop from the machine and unhoop the stabilizer. Tear the pincushion from the tear-away stabilizer.
Finish the Pin Cushion
- Use a seam ripper to poke a hole in the back layer of the pincushion. Slide the blades of a small pair of scissors into the opening and cut a slit in the form of an X.
- Stuff the pincushion with polyester fiberfill. Fuse a scrap of fabric over the opening.
You’ll find additional instructions, plus the embroidery files for this great gift idea in Eileen’s Roche’s book, Machine Embroidered Quilting and Appliqué. The book features 11 more embroidered projects, plus a video by Eileen and, well, you know who!
I know there is someone on your gift list that would so appreciate this easy to embroider project!
Bye for now,